Viluppuram GNU/Linux Users Group (VGLUG) is a non profit organization started in 2013, Impression of worldwide Free and Open Source Software movement.
This organization is a social movement that works towards enlightening the masses with the essence of free software and to liberate knowledge. Our main objectives are to take forward free software and its ideological implications to all corners of our country from the developed domains to the underprivileged.
To create awareness among computer users in the use of free software, to take forward implementation and usage of free software in villages, school education, higher education, academic and industrial research, etc.
A movement that aims to bring science and economic development to all sections of society with the essence of free software.
Let’s bring the concept of free software to all the people of our country. Use and encouraging the improvement of free software in industry and academia.
1. Creating awareness on GNU/Linux Operating System and Free Software.
2. Delivering for free, various flavors of latest and old versions of Gnu/Linux for those in need around Vilupuram.
3. Conducting weekly once or monthly twice Meet-up in Vilupuram with those who have interest to know about Gnu/Linux and Free Software (Anyone can join the meet up)
4. Conducting workshop, Software Freedom Day, Education Freedom Day, Summer Camp, Winter camp, Weekathon,etc.
- We are a Technical + Philosophical group, where we care about the Philosophy of Free Software and Freedom / Free Speech over the Internet. We believe that Technology should not be restricted only to few people. It should reach million and should give users every Freedom.
- We live in a Society, and not contributing to a society is not fair. As they give things for us to live, sustain and grow then why not spend few minutes to contribute back?
- Villupuram Gnu/Linux Users Group also called as “VGLUG” in short is run by group of volunteers from Vilupuram.
What we are Doing?
Conducting open week-end tech meetups to equip rural youth with coding and analytical skills through FOSS (Free and Open Source Softwares) technologies. Through this activity, we have equipped more than 1000+ young minds. Through the coding activity we equip the rural youth and students to understand science, enhance their logical thinking to make them progressive.
We are transferring the FOSS technologies to the doorsteps of backwoods in India through 100 Villages 100 Glugs initiative.
Since 2013, Every year we are conducting FOSS exhibition for the general public to educate and to create awareness on virtual privacy, malwares, internet surveillance, cyber security, etc.
- Software Freedom Day – This is the worldwide event to make awareness about importance of Free and Open Source softwares and it’s benefits.
- 100 Village 100 GLUGs – This initiative aims to setup 100 glugs in 100 villages and it makes awareness about cyber crimes, FOSS to the rural people.
- Tech Training – Week-end tech meetups gives an opportunity for rural man power to get employability through FOSS
Contribution To FOSS & Society
- Sangailakkiyam – An android application which is used to read all literature from the Sangam era.
- Mozilla Localization in tamil – we enriched mozilla and its product into tamil localization.
- Spell4Wiki – It is a eminent resource for Wikipedia where people can give the voice sample for words in Wikipedia. This app also act as Wiki – Dictionary.
- Dr. RavikumarMP App – This connects the Member of Parliament to the people of Villupuram constituency to raise obligations, suggestions and complaints.
- VizhiTamilApp – App helps to visually impaired people to listen Tamil Books by using image to text technology.
- Tamil Localization – Tusky, New Pipe, VLC, Wikipedia, Mozilla and its products, SeraX, Common Voice, Watomatic and TrebleShot.
- Achievers award was presented by the Honorable Chief Minister of TamilNadu M.K. Stalin in 2021.
- “YoungSocial Change Maker Award – 2020” was given by Trust for Youth and Child Leadership
- “Nambikkai Viruthu – 2020” awarded by eminent Tamil magazine group Vikatan Publication